Introduction to Abstract Algebra

Eli
Senior Expert Member
Reactions: 183

We start with important points that we believe will help anyone to learn, not only abstract algebra but mathematics in general:
  1. Understand explanations and definitions.
  2. Test your understanding by solving a problem.
  3. Understand questions that require proofs before attempting them.
  4. Be able to provide a synopsis of definitions, propositions, lemmas, theories, theorems, and the likes.
Chapter One: Basic Concepts

Sets

The common set notations are $\cap$, $\cup$, $\uplus$, $\sqcap$, and $\in$ that we may encounter in this chapter.

We use the notation

\begin{align}\nonumber
B = \{a \in A | \dots \ ({\rm conditions \ on} \ A) \dots \}
\end{align}

to represent the subset $B$ of the set $A$.

The cardinality or order of a set $A$ is denoted by $|A|$, and if $A$ is a finite set, the cardinality of $A$ is simply the number of elements in it.

The cartesian product of two sets $A$ and $B$ is the collection of ordered pairs of elements from $A$ and $B$ given by

\begin{align}\nonumber
A\times B = \{(a,b)|a\in A, \ b \in B \}.
\end{align}
  • A set $A$ is a subset of the set $B$ denoted by $A\subseteq B$ or $B\supseteq A$ if every element of $A$ is in $B$.
  • $A\subset B$ or $B \supset A$ implies $A \subseteq B$ but $A \ne B$.
  • Every set is a subset of itself. Thus, a set $A$ is a subset of itself, similarly an empty set $\emptyset$.
  • If $A$ is any set, then $A$ is the improper subset of $A$. Any other subset of $A$ is a proper subset of $A$.
Common Sets of Numbers Notations

The following are notations for some common sets of numbers:
  1. $\mathbb{Z} = \{0, \pm 1, \pm 2, \pm 3 \}$ is used to denote the set of integers.
  2. $\mathbb{Q} = \{ a/b \ | \ b \ne 0, \ a,b \in \mathbb{Z} \}$ denotes the set of rational numbers (or rationals).
  3. The set of all decimal expansions, written as $\mathbb{R} = \{d_1d_2d_3 \dots d_n.a_1a_2a_3 \dots a_n \}$ represents real numbers (or reals).
  4. $\mathbb{C} = \{a+bi \ | \ a, b \in \mathbb{R}, \ i^2 = -1 \}$ denotes the set of complex numbers.
  5. $\mathbb{Z}^{+}$, $\mathbb{Q}^{+}$, $\mathbb{R}^{+}$, and $\mathbb{C}^{+}$ are used to denote the sets of positive elements of $\mathbb{Z}$, $\mathbb{Q}$, $\mathbb{R}$, and $\mathbb{C}$, respectively.
  6. $\mathbb{Z}^{*}$, $\mathbb{Q}^{*}$, $\mathbb{R}^{*}$, and $\mathbb{C}^{*}$ are the sets of non zero members of $\mathbb{Z}$, $\mathbb{Q}$, $\mathbb{R}$, and $\mathbb{C}$.
  7. $\mathbb{Z}$, $\mathbb{Q}$, and $\mathbb{R}$ have the same cardinality. How ?
  8. $\mathbb{Z}$ and $\mathbb{Z}^{+}$ have the same cardinality.
Function Notations

The notation $f: A \rightarrow B$ is used to denote a function/mapping $f$ from $A$ to $B$. Here, the words function and mapping can be used interchangeably.

We denote by $f(a)$ the value of $f$ at $a$.

Domain and Codomain

Consider the notation $f: A \rightarrow B$ as previously defined:
  • the set $A$ is called the domain of $f$;
  • the set $B$ is called the codomain of $f$.
We can sometimes use the notation $f: a \rightarrow b$ or $a \rightarrow b$ to mean that $f(a) = b$.

When we say $f$ is well defined, we mean $f$ is unambiguously defined.

Range/Image and Preimage/Inverse

The set

\begin{align}\nonumber
f(A) = \{b\in B \ | \ b = f(a), \ a \in A \}
\end{align}

is a subset of the set $B$, called the range or image of $f$ or the image of $A$ under $f$.

We can simply write the image of $A$ under $f$ as

\begin{align}\nonumber
f(A) = \{f(a) | a \in A \}.
\end{align}

For each subset $C$ of $B$, the set

\begin{align}\nonumber
f^{-1}(C) = \{a \in A \ | \ f(a) \in C \}
\end{align}

(consisting of the elements of $A$ mapping into $C$ under $f$) is called the preimage or inverse image of $C$ under $f$.

One-to-one and Onto Mappings

Let $f: A \rightarrow B$:
  • $f$ is one-to-one (i.e., $f$ is injective or an injection) if whenever $a_1 \ne a_2$, we have $f(a_1) \ne f(a_2)$.
  • $f$ is onto (i.e., $f$ is surjective or is a surjection) if for all $b \in B$ there is some (at least one) $a\in A$ such that $f(a) = b$, that is the image of $f$ (the image of $A$ under $f$) is all of $B$.
  • $f$ is bijective or is a bijection if it is both injective and surjective. If such a bijection $f$ exists from $A$ to $B$ , we say that $A$ and $B$ are in bijective correspondence.
  • The function $f$ is onto $B$ if the range of $f$ is $B$.
  • Two sets $A$ and $B$ have the same cardinality if there exists a one-to-one function mapping (correspondence) from $A$ onto $B$.
Example

The function mapping $f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$, where $f(x) = x^2$ is not one-to-one because $f(2) = f(-2) = 4$, but $-2 \ne 2$. Also, $f$ is not onto $\mathbb{R}$ because the range is the proper subset of $\mathbb{R}$, that is the range is only the set of all nonnegative numbers in $\mathbb{R}$.

The Composite Map

If $f:A \rightarrow B$ and $g:B \rightarrow C$, then the composite map $gof: A \rightarrow C$ is defined by
\begin{align}\nonumber
(gof)(a) \rightarrow g(f(a)).
\end{align}

A composite function is a step-wise application. Here is an illustration:

Example 1

Evaluate $fog$ and $gof$, given the following functions:
  1. $g(x) = 2x+2$.
  2. $f(x) = x^2 + 1$.
We need to determine the composition of function $f$ followed by $g$, and the composition of function $g$ followed by $f$:

Let's calculate $fog$:

\begin{align}\nonumber
\begin{split}
fog(x) & = f(g(x)) = f(2x + 2)\\
& = (2x + 2)^2 + 1 \\
& = (4x^2 + 8x + 4) + 1 \\
& = 4x^2 + 8x + 5.
\end{split}
\end{align}

Let's calculate $gof$:

\begin{align}\nonumber
\begin{split}
gof(x) & = g(f(x)) = g(x^2 + 1) \\
& = 2(x^2 + 1) + 2 \\
& = 2x^2 + 2 + 2 \\
& = 2x^2 + 4.
\end{split}
\end{align}

As we can see, $fog = 4x^2 + 8x + 5$ and

$gof = 2x^2 + 4.$

Left and Right Inverses

Again, suppose $f: A \rightarrow B$:
  • $f$ has a left inverse if there is a function $g: B \rightarrow A$ such that $gof: A \rightarrow A$ is the identity map on $A$, that is, $(gof)(a) = a$ for all $a \in A$.
  • $f$ has a right inverse if there is a function $g: B \rightarrow A$ such that $fog: B \rightarrow B$ is the identity map on $B$, that is, $(fog)(b) = b$ for all $b \in B$.
Proposition 1

Let $f:A \rightarrow B$:
  1. The map $f$ is injective if and only if $f$ has a left inverse.
  2. The map $f$ is surjective if and only if $f$ has a right inverse.
  3. The map $f$ is a bijection if and only if there exists $g:B \rightarrow A$ such that $fog$ is the identity map on $B$ and $gof$ is the identity map on $A$.
  4. If $A$ and $B$ are finite sets with the same number of elements, i.e., $|A| = |B|$, then $f: A \rightarrow B$ is bijective if and only if $f$ is injective if and only if $f$ is surjective.
Binary Relations, Equivalence Classes and Partitions

Let $A$ be a nonempty set:

Binary relations

Given two sets $A$ and $B$, a binary relation $R$ from $A$ to $B$ is a subset of $A \times B$, written as $R \subseteq A\times A$, where $A \times B$ denotes the Cartesian product of $A$ and $B$.

A binary relation on a set $A$ is a subset of the Cartesian product of $A$ with itself, that is, a subset of $A \times A$. This is a collection of ordered pairs, where each pair consists of two elements from the set $A$.

More specifically, a binary relation $R$ on a set $A$ is a subset $R$ of $A\times A$, symbolically written as $R \subseteq A \times A$. We write $a R b)$ or $a \sim b$ ($a$ is related to $b$) if $(a, b) \in R.$

Binary relations can be represented in various ways. For example, they can be expressed as a set of ordered pairs, or as a matrix with rows and/or columns representing the elements of A, and so on.

Binary relations can describe various types of relationships between elements of a set. The relation $\sim$ on a set $A$ is said to be:
  • Reflexive Relation if every element of $A$ is related to itself. That is, if $a \sim a$ for all $a \in A$. In other words, a binary relation $R$ on $A$ is reflexive if for every element $a \in A$, $(a, a) \in R$.
  • Symmetric Relation if $a \sim b$ implies $b \sim a$, $\forall \ a,b \in A$. In other words, a binary relation $R$ on $A$ is symmetric if for every pair $(a, b) \in R$, the pair $(b, a) \in R$.
  • Transitive Relation if $a \sim b$ and $b \sim c$ implies $a \sim c$, $\forall \ a, b, c \in A$. In other words, a binary relation $R$ on $A$ is transitive if for every three arbitrary elements $a, b, c \in A$, if $(a, b), (b, c) \in R$, then $(a, c) \in R$. This means if $a$ is related to $b$ and $b$ is related to $c$, then $a$ is related to $c$.
Equivalence relations

A relation is said to be an equivalence relation if it is reflexive, symmetric and transitive.

Equivalence classes

If $\sim$ defines an equivalence relation on $A$, then the equivalence class of $a\in A$ is defined to be

\begin{align}
[a] = \{x \in A | x \sim a\}.
\end{align}
  • Elements of the equivalence class of an element $a$ are said to be equivalent to $a$.
  • If $C$ is an equivalence class, any element of $C$ is a representative of the class $C$.
Partitions

A partition of a set $A$ is a collection of nonempty subsets of $A$ such that every element of $A$ is in exactly one of the subsets. Symbolically,

A partitions of a set $A$ is any collection $\{A_i | i \in I\}$ of nonempty subsets of $A$, where $I$ is an index set, such that
  1. $A = \cup_{i \in I} A_i$, and
  2. $A_i \cap A_j = \emptyset$ for all $i,j \in I$ with $i \neq j$.
We denote by $\bar{x}$ the cell containing the element $x$ of $A$. These cells are simply the subsets that form the partition of the set $A$.

Proposition 2

Let $A$ be a nonempty set:
  1. If $\sim$ defines an equivalence relation on $A$, then the set of equivalence classes of $\sim$ form a partition of $A$.
  2. If $\{A_i | i\in I \}$ is a partition of $A$, then there is an equivalence relation on $A$ whose equivalence classes are precisely the sets $A_i$, where $i \in I$.
Attachments
composite_function.png
1 Image 1 Image
TSSFL -- A Creative Journey Towards Infinite Possibilities!
Eli
Senior Expert Member

Preliminaries - Using software and technologies

Set Theory

Two Sets

Three Sets

Matrix Operations with SageMath

1. A = matrix([[5,4, 2, 1],[0, 1, -1, -1],[-1, -1, 3,0], [1, 1, -1, 2]])
  3. #Find eigenvalues and eigenvectors
  4. A.eigenvectors_right()
  6. #Characteristic polynomial
  7. p(x) = A.characteristic_polynomial()
  9. #Jordan normal form
  10. A.jordan_form()
  12. #Compute matrix P so that P^(-1)AP is diagonal
  13. #This gives both the matrix P and P^(-1)AP
  14. D, P = A.eigenmatrix_right(); D, P
  16. #Extract P only
  17. P = A.eigenmatrix_right()[1]; P
  19. #A.eigenvalues()
  20. #A.rref()
  22. P = matrix([[1, 1, 1, -1],[0, 0, -1, 1],[-1, 0, 0,0], [1, 0, 1, 0]])
  23. P.inverse()*A*P
  25. v = vector([0,0,-1,1])
  26. P.inverse()*A*P

SymPy

Eli
Senior Expert Member

Return to “Abstract Algebra”

• Information