Tons of Emails and Passwords Have Been Pwned: Mother of All Breaches Exposes 773 Million Emails, 21 Million Passwords

Includes Ethical Hacking, Cybersecurity, Social Engineering and related fields
RealityKing
Senior Expert Member
Reactions: 26

Security news are always interesting ... You have been pwned!

The newly discovered “Collection #1" is the largest public data breach by volume up-to-date, with 772,904,991 unique emails and 21,222,975 unique passwords exposed, see previous breaches

your-email-address-and-password-have-pr ... pwned-5585

hackers-compromised-30-million-facebook-accounts-5896

"The breach was first reported by Troy Hunt, the security researcher who runs the site Have I Been Pwned (HIBP), the site where you can check if your email has been compromised in a data breach. "In his blog, Hunt says a large file of 12,000 separate files and 87GB of data had been uploaded to MEGA, a popular cloud service. The data was then posted to a popular hacking forum and appears to be an amalgamation of over 2,000 databases. The troubling thing is the databases contain dehashed passwords, which means the methods used to scramble those passwords into unreadable strings has been cracked, fully exposing the passwords. ... The Collection #1 breach contains almost 2.7 billion combos. Plus, around 140 million emails and 10 million passwords from Collection #1 were new to Hunt’s HIBP database—meaning they’re not from previously reported mega breaches" Read more>>>

I checked all my emails on HIBP and find no any security breach:

Not_pwned.png

But, I checked few of my friends emails and find that they have been pwned:

pwned.png

You can check if your emails and passwords are part of the Collection #1 breach - the Mother of All Breaches at HIBP. You can also manually search to see which of your passwords have been hacked and exposed. You are strongly advised to immediately change your email password if you find it in the HIBP database.

See more https://haveibeenpwned.com/FAQs#DataSource about Have I Been Pwned?

Return to “Information Security”

• Information